How to start a conversation in English?
Do you have difficulty while speaking English?
Are you the one who often steps back just because you don’t know what to say to the person in front?
If that’s you, I hope till the end of this page, I will be able to make a difference in your present scenario and you will be able to start a conversation with anyone- formal or informal, social gatherings, pub or at school.
So without further ado, let’s get down to the business:
- Hi! What’s up? – It’s just an informal way of asking the person if anything happened since we last met.
- Hi! What’s new? – Same as above.
- I wonder if we – this is hands-down the best phrase to strike the conversation with the person you might know but you have not spoken to him/her lately.
- What you have been lately – we use this phrase to inquire the person in front about what he has been doing lately.
- How are you getting on? – An alternative of saying ‘How are you?’
- You doing Ok? – We use this phrase to ask the person in front about the present condition if he has gone through some tough experience.
- Hey! Long time no see! – We use this phrase when we have not met the person in front for a long time.
- Hi! How is your day going? – It is often used in informal situations such as friends, family and colleague.
- Did you hear what happened…? – We use this phrase in informal situations relating to some incident that happened to strike up your conversation.
- How have you been? – Alternative phrase for ‘How are you?’
- I don’t think we have met before – we use this phrase to strike up a conversation with someone at a party. It is said something like this: “I don’t think we have met before- My name is Joe……..”
- “So from how long have you been following him/her?” – It is how a native will strike up a conversation in a concert or function.
- “I really loved the place, especially the food, drinks and all. What do you say?” – You can use this phrase to strike up a conversation with a stranger at a beach, new city or party.
- “It’s such a nice view, isn’t it?” – you must have understood when to use it.
- “This is my favorite song- I just love rock songs. What about you?” – Natives often use this phrase to strike up a conversation at a bar or a party.
- “I just love this player, I think his team is gonna win. What do you say?” – I still use the same phrase to strike conversation at a stadium during a match – Football, Cricket or Hockey.
The above phrases are some of the conversation starters which you may use to start your conversation with anyone. Tell me in the comment section below in case if I missed any.
Hope this article added some value to your vocabulary, so please share and subscribe for more of it.
I will get back to you with some more free content soon till then try to strike up your conversation using these phrases and see if you can.
I know you can.